Wilcote Shortlisted for Eco-Logic Climate Change Award
The Eco-Logic Awards honour individuals, organisations and communities that are committed to making a difference, and Wilcote is honoured to have been shortlisted in the Climate Change category of this prestigious award.
In partnership with SABC3, and established by The Enviropaedia, the Eco-Logic Awards put the focus on sustainability, eco-friendly business practices and smart consumerism. It has been hailed as South Africa’s most ‘glamorously green’ event, with a glitzy gala dinner that is certainly proof of its glamour. Every year, members of the public have the chance to nominate their Eco-Champions, showing how each finalist contributes towards various categories. In total, there are 13 categories, ranging from Climate Change to Biodiversity, Eco-Innovation, Energy Efficiency, Recycling and Waste Management, Transport, Water Conservation, Business Green Economy Initiative, Municipalities, Eco-Community, Eco-Youth, Eco-Angel and Eco-Warrior.
Wilcote has been selected along with four other finalists in the Climate Change category, which is sponsored by the Department of Environmental Affairs.
The Eco-Awards Gala Evening will take place on Thursday 21 April 2016 at the stylish Table Bay Hotel, at the V&A Waterfront in Cape Town.
Wilcote’s Commitment to Climate Change
As firm believers in a sustainable future, all of Wilcote’s products are manufactured according to European Standards, with stringent codes and ethics that help us maintain our commitment to the environment. When sourcing products, we use a strict system to ensure that all suppliers meet our values. Factors considered include the environment that raw materials are sourced from, the impact products have on the environment, the type of labour employed and its effect on local communities, as well as the use of solar and energy saving equipment to reduce energy consumption.
Some of the recent initiatives and products that we have achieved include the following:
- Eco Friendly Paint Products – use and awareness of safe biocides in paint and paint products.
- Infra-Red Roof Cooling – use and awareness of roof cooling materials and properties to reduce heat islands in urban areas.
- Green Manufacturing Processes – use of raw materials and variable speed drives.
- Re-use of Raw Material Containers – recycling and reuse of material containers.
- Harvesting of Grey Water – grey water from factory used for nearby banana plantation.
- Township Project – use and awareness of flame retardant exterior paint and sustainable roof cooling and heating solutions, as well as township franchise training opportunities.
We will continue to work tirelessly to ensure that our products have a minimal impact on the environment, while also striving to use and create technology that actively makes a difference to ecosystems, climate conditions and local communities. We also hope that our customers will join us in working towards making a better planet for everyone.