Benefits of Torch-On Waterproofing
What exactly is torch-on waterproofing, and how can it help your roof stay protected against water and damp?
This innovation offers an alternative to asphalt roofing. Typically used on flat roofs, waterproofing membrane systems are made of sticky, viscous organic liquids. Bitumen, a hydrocarbon made from crude oil, is one of the key components of this material. Non-harmful to the environment, highly effective against water and boasting a number of unique qualities, bituminous torch-on is widely considered to be one of the most reliable tools for waterproofing contractors.
What is Torch-On Waterproofing?
Before we go into some of the benefit offered by this technology, let’s take a quick look at what torch-on water proofing is all about.
Simply put, bitumen torch-on is a specialised solution that works particularly well on flat concrete roofs. It also works well on foundation and retaining walls, flashings, parapet walls, expansion joints, corrugated and IBR roof laps and roofing screws, as well as gutters, flower boxes and water retaining structures. As a damp proofing measure, it helps to prevent the risk of water logging with the help of its water resistant surface.
Made from a mixture of bitumen and polymers, which are applied to a polyester or fibre-glass reinforcement membrane, a stronger, sturdier membrane is created to protect surfaces against damp and water. This membrane is powerful; resistant to tears as well as punctures. The final result is bitumen torch-on sheeting, which can be applied onto flat roof surfaces and then measured for an exact fit.
Torch-On Waterproofing Advantages
Some of the benefits offered by torch-on bitumen waterproofing include the following:
- Suitable for full water immersion as well as sub-soil applications, it an ideal application for sealing box gutters and flower boxes.
- Able to protect buildings while retaining harmony with the building’s environmental surroundings thanks to a range of mineral finishes offered.
- Green roofing solution that offers a simple way to reduce carbon footprints.
- Extremely long life span, with the majority of membranes offering global standards in quality.
- Fumes released during installation are not harmful to humans and there is low noise pollution during application either.
- Protect insulation and have the potential to reflect harmful sun rays (some products even contain photovoltaic cells that can produce solar energy).
- Non-water soluble, non-biodegradable, non-carcinogenic and non-toxic.
As a waterproofing contractor who always strives to offer customers the latest in technology, Wilcote is excited to offer torch-on waterproofing to our customers who want to take advantage of this eco-friendly, highly effective solution.